STYLE SPOTLIGHT: SENIOR & FORMER TEEN VOGUE INTERN / EMILY CLEARY

Sunday, April 22, 2012


She is the College Fashion Week Project Director, a former Teen Vogue intern, and President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Illinois. Emily Clearly, Senior in News Editorial Journalism, has it all. Seven months ago, her radiating success led me to contact her for a sit down whirlwind I-don’t-know-what-I-am-doing-with-my-life advice session. This coffee date solidified my passion to work in the fashion industry, motivated me to apply for the current internships I have, and held a large influence on my personal journey in the fashion world. I recently sat down a second time with Cleary to talk fashion, end of college plans and life.

DLN: What are you involved in on campus?
Emily Cleary: I am College Fashion Week Project Director, a Rent the Runway Social Media Representative, President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Illinois, Assistant Editor of the Arts and Entertainment section of Buzz Magazine, and a Merchandiser for Chloe & Isabel jewelry. I am a former Style Chicago.com intern, Teen Vogue intern and VP Academic for Tridelta Sorority.

DLN: How has your style changed throughout your college career?
EC: Since freshman year, I have become more risky. I care less about what people think and have allowed myself to be more unexpected. Being in New York City and studying abroad really exposed to the fashion industry and affected my personal style. They are ahead of us in trends and fashion. Freshman year I wasn’t as creative with my clothing, but now I am more experimental with how I style my outfits. I have developed a sense of style that I am known for. There are key elements in my wardrobe that tend to stay the same, but they have just been enhanced.

DLN: What are the key items in your closet?
EC: I am always overloaded on jewelry. I love accessories. For a month straight I will wear the same bracelet, then switch it out with another one for the next month. I am always wearing the same watch.

DLN: How would you describe your style now?
EC: My current style is always changing. I get bored of things quickly and tend to switch my style up often. I would describe my style at ‘hippie bohemian meets edgy’.

DLN: Who are your stylistic inspirations?
EC: I love Blake lively. We have similar body types, so I like to see what she is wearing. Kate Bosworth, Sienna Miller and fashion bloggers such as Blond Salad and  Tulla Vintage are a huge inspiration.  

DLN: Where is your favorite place to shop?
EC: I love to shop at Urban Outfitters, Free People, Nasty Gal, Forever 21, Zara, Asos, Topshop and Nordstroms. You can find something from every store, if you just search hard enough.

Who are your favorite designers?
EC: Marchesa, Prabal Gurung and BCBG Maz Azria are among my favorite designers. Christopher Kane is fantastic also. His last collection, filled with neon, was brilliant. I love Kate Spade accessories, Rebecca Minkoff bags and Burburry trenches. Chanel is always an amazing classic.

DLN: Where do you want to live?
EC: I want to eventually end up in Chicago, but first I would love to travel the world. My dream is to live in a different place every year. I want to live in NYC, LA and Paris at some point.

DLN: What advice can you give to girls looking for internships?
EC: Contact as many people as you can and email whoever you can find. 1/5 of the people will get back to you. Once, while applying to internships, I emailed the Editor-in-Chief of Teen Vogue. Although this might not be the right way to go about it, my email was forwarded to head of HR and I ended up with the internship. When applying for internships, be persistent and don’t be discouraged, but still have a backbone. Be driven and confident. Be a leader, respectful, a quick learner and hard worker. Bottom line, what is meant to be, will be, so if you don’t get the job, that happed for a reason and something good will come of it.

DLN: Do you have any advice to college students on fashion?
EC: Don’t worry about what other people thing. I cared so much about what I was wearing in the beginning of college. Most of the time people don’t notice and don’t care. If you think something looks good, go for it. But then again, don’t feel you need to dress a certain way to fit a certain mold. Be confident, because confidence can make an outfit look one hundred times better.

DLN: What is the most valuable thing you have learned on this campus?
EC: Your happiness comes with surrounding yourself with good people. When you are here you are trying to find your group of friends and your specific niche. I have realized that I have found the most happiness from the people I am surrounded by. I know they love me, as I love them. I have learned to surround myself with the right people and not concern myself with what is “cool” or not.

DLN: What is the best advice you can give on college?
EC: Utilize the resources available and get involved. There are so many interesting and awesome people on campus. Take advantage of them, because you have the opportunity to meet new people. It will help you in the long run for internships and networking. People are willing to help and they want to help. School is very important and you are here to learn. Knowing you worked hard and put a lot of work into school pays off. I am graduating with highest honors and I set that goal freshman year. Set a goal for yourself and work towards it.

DLN: What is one of your favorite memories at your four years at UIUC?
EC: My 21st birthday. We rented out the backend of a local bar and threw a party. Everyone was there. My friends from home, school and family were all there. All of the people I love were in the same room. It was an amazing night.

DLN: What are you going to miss the most about your four years of UIUC?
EC: I am going to miss the freedom of not having a full day of work, being able to take a nap, and living in close vicinity of all of my friends.  At school, we are in our own little world in a condensed bubble.

DLN: What would you like to do as a career in the future?
EC: I would like to have a career that is relevant in fashion. I would love to be involved in journalism, PR, social media, event planning, or conceptualizing in the fashion industry. I love picking people’s brains. I would like to do something creative, where I can talk to people. My goal before I die is to somehow make a difference in someone’s life. I would like to accomplish something big and significant that is helping someone or inspiring someone. I want to always be active in volunteering or take time off and do a mission trip in Africa.

Emily has amazing drive, passion and style. We can all take a note on her professionalism and advice. I am very lucky to have met her and hope that we will cross paths in the fashion industry in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a comment or ask a question!