MY DIRTY LITTLE JOURNEY: NEW YORK CITY FOR THE SUMMER

Monday, April 23, 2012


This summer will definitely be one to remember. I have been working extremely hard the past year and have been non-stop, go, go, go. I have studied fashion design in NYC, was a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.Com, a marketing intern for Akira Chicago, a public relations intern for Bella Mia's Boutique, a stylist for Impulse Magazine, on the Executive Board of IStyle and Secretary of College Fashion Week. Along with this, I am recruitment chair for my sorority, run THIS WONDERFUL GROWING-CHILD-OF-A-BLOG that has reached 10,000+ hits and have never been doing better in school. It is time to finally take a breath, pause, and reflect on my accomplishments. Sit back and let my hard work flow into something bigger.

Along this journey, I have grown as a person immensely. I have learned a million things that I didn't realize I needed to know, I gained a network of amazing friends and I finally realized that working hard is infinitely worth it. I have stuck with my gut and stuck with my dream and it has all seemed to pay off. My dreams are finally coming true.

Working hard does get you where you want to be, BUT there are also some heavy tolls along the way. While many newcomers have joined my new circle of connections at UIUC, old connections have faded. I have been so busy, I have become distant to the people I care about the most. It is bittersweet to reflect on your accomplishments, be proud and know you worked hard, but look back to see that your relationships aren't as strong as before.

This year, I focused on myself and building a relationship with an industry, rather than with my peers. Now, I am excited for the time to focus on my relationships with my friends, family and support systems. Next semester, I can't wait to finally dedicate more time to these friends and mend these relationships.

To those who have always supported me, cheered me on and dealt with me when I am too busy to even see you for weeks: THANK YOU. To those of you who understand and yet still accept me as a friend: THANK YOU. To those of you who plan to stay in my life, FOR A VERY LONG TIME, like I plan for you to be: THANK YOU. I love you all and I am sorry I have been 'there,' but not REALLY 'there'.

NOW, I GET TO THE REASON FOR THIS ENTIRE POST: Through the good and the bad, the hard work, in the end, has been rewarding.

This summer, I will be jetting off to New York City once again. This time for THREE WHOLE MONTHS. I will be working two internships and live in the city with my dear friend Reigan Massey. For the first half of the week, I will be working at a Fashion Public Relations company and the second half at a popular Women's Fashion Publication. Both companies are outstanding. I am so blessed and ecstatic to be a part of both of their businesses and can't wait to begin working. I am going to learn so much this summer and hopefully will be able to share this information with you. I leave in three weeks and am terrified, but it will all, once again, be worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a comment or ask a question!