fashionista spotlight: gaby mangialardi - collegefashionista.com

Thursday, November 24, 2011


FOLLOWING ARTICLE FROM COLLEGEFASHIONISTA.COM:

From Black Swan’s Rodarte designed ballerina getups to Meadham Kirchhoff’s pop art fantasy world showcasing thick, knee-length skirts, tutus have been invading the fashion empire. While the thought of a tutu usually revolves around a tight-bunned dance teacher strictly nitpicking students posture through pursed lips, the fluffy skirt has began to take a new role in society. Recently, tutus can be seen in a more relaxed fit, worn casually on the streets. This fashionista was a perfect choice for this weeks Fashionista Spotlight. Gaby perfectly recreates this look with a loose tutu layered with a slouchy sweater. The added height and fedora are a perfect touch to complete this outfit. I talked with Gaby about her outfit, her personal style and fall trends.

Name: Gaby Mangialardi - Major: Fashion Studies - Year: Sophomore

CollegeFashionista: What are some of your stylistic influences?
Gaby Mangialardi: My stylist influences are celebrities like Mary Kate and Ashley Olson, the Kardashians, Blake Lively, Emma Watson, a lot of fashion bloggers, street style, things that are on the runway and models like Chanel Iman.

CF: How would you describe your outfit today?
GM: My outfit is classy, a lot of neutral colors. I love all neutrals together in one outfit. Its kind of ballerina chic. I’m wearing gold accessories. I am wearing a fedora to bring the whole outfit together.

CF: How would you describe your personal style?
GM: A mixture of everything really, I like to keep it simple and casual, but I also love statement pieces. I’m not afraid to wear what I like. I love vintage, retro and modern style. I love wear everything!

CF: What fall trends are you excited to wear this year?
GM: I’m excited to wear scarves and combat boots with bright colored socks. I really want to wear a big headband or turban if I can find a good one.

CF: Who are your favorite designers?
GM: Alexander McQueen, Chanel, Stella McCartney, Valentino, Balenciaga. I think all designers bring something knew to the table and have amazing ideas.

CF: What advice do you have for fellow students about clothing choices?
GM: Don’t be afraid to wear what you want. I think a persons clothing expresses who you are on the inside and a lot of people are afraid to show that off.

How To: To incorporate this tulle trend into your wardrobe, try this stunning Urban Outfitters dress with lace inserts. For that dressy holiday party, zip up this white lace and tulle tutu dress. Add a pop of color in a bright pair of pumps to bring the outfit to a new high. For a sweater with jeans look, invest in this Alice + Olivia knit with an underlying tutu detail. Wether you are in dance class or walking the streets, a tutu is a perfect transitional piece that adds a flair of femininity to every outfit.

1. check HERE every wednesday to catch my latest report!
2. check HERE every day for all posts on my campus! (university of illinois)
3. check HERE or click on the PHOTO to read this weeks post / see more photos via the site!