fashionista spotlight - gordana rasic - collegefashionista.com (PART ONE)

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

FOLLOWING ARTICLE FROM COLLEGEFASHIONISTA.COM:
In the revolutionary manifestation of rock-and-roll culture in the 1970’s of New York City, punk pollutes the air waves, CBGB never sleeps, Andy Warhol’s Factory is crawling with cocaine addicted artists and leather is the textile of choice. Although Joan Jett of The Runaways practically claims leather as her own, we can see the re-emergence of the trend in recent runway shows. The leather pant popped up in spring 2011 ready to wear shows such as AkrisBalmainHaider Ackermann andHermès. I met with Gordana at a local coffee haven on campus. This fashionista and student fashion designer completely showcased the leather trend as well as the rock-and-let-roll attitude the trousers demand. Gordana was on fire with this trend by pairing her leather pants with a simple black blazer, a loud pop of color, a black fedora and John Lennon inspired sunnies. 

Name: Gordana Rasic - Year: Senior
Major: Pre-medicine, with a double major in Molecular and Cellular Biology and  Anthropology, and double minor in Chemistry and LGBT/Queer studies


College Fashionista: What inspired your outfit today?
Gordana Rasic: My hat is Forever 21, blazer is thrift, top is Marshals and my leather pants are Top Shop. Today I wanted to become more incognito, staying in the shadows and building an outfit around my leather pants. I wanted a darker color scheme, so I chose an all black outfit.
CF: What is an essential item in your closet?
GR: My armor ring from soyfashion.com. It is the smallest, most simplistic item I own, but it is an accessory that transforms many of my outfits. Taking something so delicate, such as chiffon and pairing it with the ring to give it a hard industrial edge can completely update a look.
CF: How has fashion designing influenced your own style?
GR: Fashion design allowed me to expand my style. I am now able to straddle the lines between wearable pieces and wearable art. Everything I wear tends to reflect my designing style and cultural influences. Even my makeup scheme conveys what I feel on a certain day. Do I want to be confident, intimidating, hide in the shadows, add a victorian influence or a 1940’s touch to my look? I take every day at a time and live through each time period. l get bored easily and am always looking for a new spark or a character to embody.
CF: What advice do you have for aspiring fashion designers?
GR: Don’t underestimate competition, but don’t be consumed by idea that there are always people designing. Everyone is capable of designing and there will always be someone designing next to you. Don’t be weary. Ignore the subtle feeling of failure and don’t take it to heart when people don’t have faith in you. You make your own destiny.
How To: To recreate Gordana’s chic-grudge look throw a plain black blazer over this type face grey tank and zip up these patchwork leather trousers from Trip NYC . For a pop of bold color, step out in these bright neon suede stilettos from Asos. To accessorize, wear this fedora with these round-rimmed shades. For a night-owl look, rock this asymmetrical, leather bodice strap dress from House of Fraser with this chunky leather chained bracelet. Leather will always be prominent in contemporary fashion and will forever serve as a reminder of a culture that pushed the boundaries, revolutionized music and taught us to just be cool.


EDITORS NOTE: I sat down with Gordana over coffee last week for about an hour. she is incredibly inspiring and an amazing designer. this post is PART ONE of my interview with her focused for CollegeFashionista. check in tomorrow for PART TWO which is written exclusively for Dirty Little Fashion!


1. check HERE every wednesday to catch my latest report!
2. check HERE every day for all posts on my campus! (university of illinois)
3. check HERE or click on the PHOTO to read this weeks post / see more photos via the site! 

1 comment:

leave a comment or ask a question!