LIFE OF A FASHION INTERN: DAY ONE (PR COMPANY)

Monday, May 21, 2012

MOVING IN:
Reigan and I moved in last night. Needless to say, our wall of shoes is quite embarrassing and I overpacked like a hoarder. After a tiring day of playing let's-ride-the-subway ALL day, we crashed at 11PM, too excited for our internships.

EMBARRASSING MOMENT: (there will definitely be more of these throughout the summer)
After quietly drifting off to sleep, my alarm suddenly woke me up. I felt like I had hit a wall. It was 7AM already? How was I supposed to make it through the day? I felt like I got absolutely NO sleep. Reigan and I woke up and began getting ready for the day. I jumped in the shower and tried to rub the sleep out of my eyes. As Reigan did her make up in the other room, she went to peek out the window. To no avail, it was COMPLETELY dark outside. Reigan came into the bathroom, knocked on the door and politely asked "Jessie, do you realize it is 1:06 AM?" Apparently someone had texted me and we assumed it was my alarm clock and didn't bother to check the time. We died laughing and I was EXTREMELY relieved that it actually wasn't 7AM.

FIRST DAY OUTFIT: I decided to don coral pants, LOTS of prints and blinged out loafers. 


[thrifted shirt, jacket / Forever 21 pants / Steve Madden loafers]

IT WAS RAINING AND WE DIDN'T HAVE UMBRELLAS. DON'T HATE

INTERNSHIP:
To begin, today was insane. Insane in a good, I-have-huge-blisters on my feet, but a smile on my face sort of way.

I couldn't be more exhausted. Between logging shipments of ridiculously amazing clothing or working directly with an account executive for a high end client, I was definitely walking around with my chin on the ground. Sifting through the showroom was OCD heaven. I think I actually could hear the angels singing. Everything was specifically and meticulously merchandised in long, neat rows of designers just the way my perfectionist self likes it. Along with the miles of hanging racks, there were displayed accessories lining every untouched corner.

Everyone was incredibly warm and inviting. All of the account executives were so helpful and my intern coordinator is a doll. After just one day of working, I really do feel like I belong and that I am getting a hang of this job. I couldn't be more excited.

DAILY KNOWLEDGE:

LONGLEADS: A magazine or publication that plans its issues MONTHS in advance and has an issue published monthly. They shoot trends that will be popular later, NOW. Right now, they are probably pulling looks for August-October issues.

Examples: Vanity Fair, Teen Vogue, Elle

SHORTLEADS: A magazine or publication that plans its issues WEEKS in advance and has an issue published every week. They shoot trends that are popular NOW.

Examples: People, US Weekly

WHEN A DESIGNER "GOS IN-HOUSE": Instead of using a PR company (who represents multiple clients) to represent their line, they form a private PR team inside their own company that specifically works on that brand.

"CLIPPING" FOR A CLIENT: Searching through newspapers or magazine publications for mentions, features or credits of your clients brand and 'clipping' it. Once you have all of the 'clips' of the day, you send them to the designer to update them on their public image and market influence.

2 comments:

leave a comment or ask a question!