CFDA AWARDS BACKSTAGE JOURNEY

Thursday, June 14, 2012

One of the most incredibly fulfilling nights of my life happened exactly seven days ago. This was the night that I worked backstage as a Production Assistant for the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) Awards. If you don't know exactly what this is, one could sum it up to "The Oscars of Fashion."

After only being in New York City for two weeks, I end up working at an event that lands me in the same room with all of the people who have influenced me to become a part of this industry. It was incredibly surreal and a magnificent night.

The day started off with a usual "Step-And-Repeat" Red Carpet. (INSIDER'S SECRET: If you have an All Access Pass, a headset and are donning an "I am wearing black because I am important" outfit, you are NOT asked questions) With this newly found confidence via a string lanyard around my neck, I stood my ground right at the very entrance to the Awards. Every single person who attended the Awards had to pass FEET away from me. I am even in the back of some of the red carpet pictures.

There is a feeling of seeing a celebrity, ONE CELEBRITY, that gives you chills, adrenaline and a guaranteed dopey smile on your face. The feeling of seeing one hundred plus celebrities at once is unfathomable. It really is an insane feeling. I just couldn't image being in the same room as some of these people.

During the show, I was in charge of taking speakers or Award winners back to their seat in the audience and making sure people were where they needed to be at the right time. After the entire awards show was completed, I was done for the night. The house doors opened, and I became one of them. I schmoozed in the lobby, walking past Victoria Secret models, actors and famous designers, talking with influential icons in the industry and being personally serenaded by the Princeton Boys A cappella group.

LIST OF THE AMAZING:

1. Stood backstage as Diane Von Furstenberg's very offical and VERY important purse holder. I was so tempted to open it up and see just what exactly a woman of her stature had in her carry-on. Needless to say, the switch off went swimmingly, and she might be the most adorable woman I have met.

2. Walked Matt Bomer to his seat. Unfortunately he is incredibly happily married. To top off the cake, Matt Bomer is incredibly happily married to a man, which DEFINITELY cuts me out of the running. He is a beautiful man. 

3. Walked Prabal Gurung to his seat. While we were making our way around the auditorium, the Awards for Womenswear Designer of the Year were announced. Prabal was sitting in the same row as Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen (who design The Row). As we tip-toed down to the row, the winners of the Award were announced. MK and Ashley clearly had taken the crown, beating out Proenza Schouler and Marc Jacobs. Prabal and I immediately pressed ourselves against the wall as a spotlight shone right where we had been standing seconds before. The two (incredibly short) twins stepped out of their row, squeezed past us and gave their acceptance speech. I still am wondering if you can see me in the background with my face smashed against the wall.

4. Walked Lilly Collins back to her seat.

5. Watched Anna Wintour give her CFDA speech. She is just one insanely small fireball of a woman. I have never seen a person who seems so shy, yet so powerful at the same time. 

6. Met Sophia Bush. She is stunning and incredibly warm and charming.

7. Met Dakota Fanning. She is one of the most normal celebrities I have ever met. She joked around, was relatable and seemed very down to earth. 

8. Met Gabe Saporta... and his girlfriend. Again, I am just not having any luck.

9. Met my FAVORITE fashion blogger, The Man Repeller. I died when I saw her. As soon as we got off duty, I bee-lined straight for her. She is impeccable, adorable, outgoing and warm. I can't say more nice things about her.

10. SOMEHOW went to the After Party at The Boom Boom Room on the roof of The Standard. Keeping our ears pricked during the lobby schmooze-fest, we found out where all the 'cool kids' were going. Flashing our passes at the door, we rode the elevator up with Olivier Theyskens (Theyskens Theory) and his super model muse. We already knew this was going to be a good night. (Side note: I REALLY found out it was going to be a good night when I went to the restroom. Each stall has a floor length window that looks out onto the NYC skyline. I guess some people are into that. I must admit, that is one memory I won't forget.)

11. At one point during the after party, I paused to look around the room. I stop to see Marc Jacobs bent down tying his newly polished shoes, Rachel Zoe running around on the dance floor, champaign in hand, Jessica Stam flirting with her latest boy-toy and Kate Bosworth and Lilly Collins caught in a deep conversation. Surreal. There is no other word.

12. Ran into Gabe Saporta for a second time, resulting in a generous greeting and a "I look like I am suave, but I am really dying inside" moment after receiving a bon-a-fied New York City cheek kiss. Maybe there is still hope?  

13. Chatted with Busy Phillips (Laurie on Cougar Town) at the refreshment table.

14. When the party dwindled down, I looked around to see that only Jessica Stam and my group remained on the dance floor. Still bitter I didn't challenge her to a "Step Up: CFDA Edition" dance battle. Next time.
__________________________________________

To wrap up the night, I have never been a part of something so incredibly 
mind-blowing, humbling, exhilarating and inspirational and I hope that I will be able 
to work the event in the future. I just have to pack a black dress, not plan to sleep 
for three days and be ready for a fantastic adventure.


Arizona Muse and Jessica Stam


Proenza Schouler and Dakota Fanning


The Man Repeller


Gabe Saporta


Sophia Bush


Princeton A Capella serenading us. You can almost see the hoards of 
famous folk in the background burning holes into our heads.


"Vouge-ing" on the Red Carpet


At the Boom-Boom Room

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a comment or ask a question!