A DIFFERENT MORNING COMMUTE

Monday, September 19, 2016


Today, I awoke to an alert on my phone identifying the suspect in the NYC bombing that occurred on Saturday night, injuring 29. On my morning commute riding the subway, I couldn't concentrate on my book, because I was thinking about the stabbings at a mall in Minnesota that occurred on Saturday night as well, injuring 9. I worried about taking public transit in one of the busiest cities in the world and was anxious when a police car zoomed past me. On my walk to my office, I actively avoided corners with trashcans and mailboxes and took a longer route to avoid the crowds.

In the week following the 15th year anniversary of 9/11, in the months following Orlando, and the year that included Paris, Nice, Istanbul, and hundreds of horrific events in the Middle East, it is hard to step back and appreciate what we have in this world. A morning where, because of hate, I was consumed with thoughts of anxiety and worry, it is hard to realize the amount of love and kindness that does exist in this world. It is hard to put into perspective the opportunities I have been given by being born into the body I was, in the family I was, and in the location I was.

In a world filled with hate, there is also a world filled with love - as long as we choose to see it. Well wishes to those living daily fears in places far more dangerous than my own. Today, hold your loved ones tightly, live with kindness, and share love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a comment or ask a question!