fashionista spotlight - emily marzolph - collegefashionista.com

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

FOLLOWING ARTICLE FROM COLLEGEFASHIONISTA.COM:

Plaid has been around for centuries. It has been worn to identify specific mid-nineteenth century Scottish clans, was used as a favorite in Queen Victoria’s interior decorating plan and is even traced back to Celtic populations in 400 BC. Today, the plaid movement has surfaced in fall ready-to-wear runway shows such as Tory Burch’s head to toe look, Rag and Bone’s patterned cape and Thakoon’s bold asymmetrical dress. It is evident the influence the striped tartan pattern has on contemporary culture. Plaid is a fierce statement that can be incorporated into any stylistic decision, whether transitioning from summer to fall or just adding an accent to an outfit. I met this stylish Fashionista biking through the quad today. Emily executed this ageless look by pairing a patterned dress with down-the-front button accent and a pair of apple red Ked inspired sneakers. While the look appears simple, the pop of color, bold pattern and added ruffled chest is enough detail to make a lasting impact.

Name: Emily Marzolph - Major: Anthropology - Year: Senior

College Fashionista: Tell us about your outfit today?
Emily Marzolph: I got my red sneakers from Target and since it is such a beautiful day out, I opted for my simple plaid ruffled dress from Delias.

CF: Who are your stylistic influences?
EM: Zoey Dechanel is definitely one person that I look to for ideas pertaining to my wardrobe. I am very into the timeless vintage look.

CF: What are some essential items in your closet?
EM: An essential item I can’t live without is a great dress. Dresses can be casual and easy to wear, but also dressed up if need be. I love to wear any kind of flat, particularly Keds, and incorporate bold pops of color such as teal and gold into my wardrobe. With my shorter hair, I like sporting chandelier earrings as opposed to studs. Particularly this fall, I am very excited to wear boots and skinny jeans. A good boot can go a long way and really tie a look together.

CF: Who is your favorite design powerhouse?
EM:  Definitely Coach. I like the Coach collections that are more spunky. The collections that are poppy and more modern really stand out to me.

How To: To emulate Emily’s patterned look, cinche this lightweight plaid cotton dress with a skinny belt and add these brown suede booties from H&M. To carry the plaid craze into a more formal look, pair a strapless plaid dress cut in a unique silhouette with a pair of black pumps. To accessorize with plaid, rock a pair of bold colored Toms shoes or wrap a light patterned scarf around your neck. This trend will not only help you transition into the fall weather, but will leave you flexible to more daring patterns in the future.


emily was the topic of my second full feature. she immediately stood out to be because of the bright colors and adorable vintage inspired bike. i always look strange standing on the quad searching for emerging fashion trends on campus, but once i finally spot someone, it is very worth it. thank you for all of the support and check out my weekly feature EVERY WEDNESDAY! 

1. check HERE every wednesday to catch my latest report!
2. check HERE every day for all posts on my campus! (university of illinois)
3. check HERE or click on the PHOTO to read this weeks post / see more photos via the site! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a comment or ask a question!